Nirmalagiri College, a minority institution under the Archdiocese of Thalassery, was established on 13th May 1964 by H.E. Mar Sebastian Valloppilly, the first Bishop of Thalassery Diocese. The college is situated at Nirmalagiri near Kuthuparamba, 20 Km North - East of Thalassery, alongside the Thalassery - Mysore inter-state highway and 15 Km away from Kannur International Airport. The founding of the college was in tune with the vision and objectives spelt out in the Memorandum of Association of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Tellicherry registered as S. No. 12 of 1954 dated 04.11.54 under Societies Registration Act (Act XXI of 1860). The Archdiocese of Thalassery has succeeded in establishing a large number of educational and charitable institutions in Malabar for the benefit of the society. There are 23 L. P. schools, 30 U. P. schools, 24 High Schools, 14 Higher Secondary Schools and an Engineering College under the Diocese. Since 1940, there occurred a substantial migration from Travancore to Malabar and the post - Second World War economic scenario hastened the exodus. The new migrant community, most of them Christians, spread over the entire region of South and North Malabar, though pioneers of an agrarian revolution, was deprived of basic and higher educational facilities. Even in the midst of blood, sweat and tears, the the migrant population craved educational institutions. It was at that historic juncture that Mar Sebastian Valloppilly, a dynamic missionary and a motivated visionary, a true Gandhian and a patriot, bravely came forward to establish the College. The main objective of Nirmalagiri College, a lamp lit on the mountain, was to radiate the light of knowledge and wisdom. When the college was established, it was the only Christian higher education centre in the whole of North Malabar, spread over the districts of Kannur, Kasaragod and Wayanad.