The Eparchy of Tellicherry was erected on 31.12.1953 by the Papal Bull Ad Christi Ecclesiam Regendam of Pope Pious XII.
Mar Sebastian Valloppilly took charge of the diocese as the administrator on 19.03.1954.
Mar Sebastian Valloppilly was Consecrated bishop on 08.01.1956.
The Eparchy was bifurcated in 1973 and the Eparchy of Mananthavady was erected.
The Eparchy was bifurcated in 1986 to form the Eparchy of Thamarassery.
Archbishop Mar George Valiamattam was consecrated as bishop of the Diocese on 01.05. 1989.
The diocese was raised to the stature of Metropolitan Archeparchy by the Papal Bull Spirituali Bono Christi Fidelium of Pope John Paul II in 18.05.1995 .
The Eparchy was bifurcated in 1999 to form the Eparchy of Belthangady.
The legendary First Bishop of Thalassery Mar Sebastian Vallopilly slept in the Lord on 04 April 2006 and was interred in the crypt of St. Joseph's Cathedral Thalassery.
Archbishop Mar George Valiamattam retired and Archbishop Mar George Njaralakatt was installed as the new Archbishop of Tellicherry on 30.10.2014.
Mar Joseph Pamplany was consecrated first Auxiliary bishop of the Archeparchy of Tellicherry on 08.11.2017.
Archbishop Mar George Njaralakatt retired and Archbishop Mar Joseph Pamplany was installed as the new Archbishop of Tellicherry on 20.04.2022.